Photographs, vintage postcards and other ephemera


Saturday 19 May 2012

A country wedding

There's a wide-ranging theme for this week's Sepia Saturday; this photograph fits nicely into two of the categories, groups and weddings.

I have no information at all about the image, but I think it shows an interesting group of people and I'd love to know more about them. The language looks like German to me and the wedding's obviously somewhere rural. I'm particularly taken by the bride's dainty lace mittens and the bridegroom's flowers.

Lots more to see over at Sepia Saturday!

10 comments:

North County Film Club said...

Oh what a pitiful wedding. Don't they look so poor? But the bride looks happy even tho she didn't get a beautiful wedding gown to wear. Their attendants didn't dress up either. Let's hope they prospered and had a long happy life. But I have my doubts.
Nancy

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

That is a great picture!

Kathy M.

Kat Mortensen said...

I am so intrigued by this photo and the writing on the back of the card. I'm not sure if it's German. The language could be, but their faces and clothing don't suggest it to me.

The girl on the right is so dark, isn't she? Perhaps she worked outside in the fields?

Utterly fascinating!

Wendy said...

That's a rather girly boutonniere. Please post an update if you find out any info on the language or people.

Queen Bee said...

It would be great if the language could be translated. Would like to know what it says.

Bob Scotney said...

I can't work out the language either but I'm not convinced it's German. Fine photo for the theme.

Unknown said...

Maybe it is in Sütterlin writing.

21 Wits said...

Togetherness is everything, right! lovely photo...and it's so cool how our theme this week can stretch in so many directions!

Postcardy said...

I loved all the flowers. I thought the flowers made it look happy, not pitiful.

Mike Brubaker said...

A super character study for a wedding photo. Notice the thatch roof of the house behind. I think it is from the old Austro-Hungarian Empire. It included so many different ethnic groups and languages besides German.