Photographs, vintage postcards and other ephemera


Saturday 27 October 2012

Afternoon Tea

This week's Sepia Saturday prompt suggests a variety of themes; I'm going with the tourist angle. My image is from an Edwardian album of photographs from holidays in the Isle of Man, the Lake District, Yorkshire and France dating between 1908 and 1910. Some of the photographs are captioned with details of the place and activity but names of the people are not included.
This is the one of a pair of photographs taken in the Isle of Man (possibly in Douglas) and mounted on facing pages of the album.

More of this week's entries over at Sepia Saturday

8 comments:

Peter said...

I know I am looking at an afternoon tea but the things that really strike me are those cups and saucers. Also the lady with the parasol indicates sophisticated upbringing (if that is an appropriate expression). This photo is a beauty!

Bob Scotney said...

A very relaxed group. I wonder where the man's pipe is out. Cups and saucers - that's a rare sight on a beach/rocks indeed, very genteel.

North County Film Club said...

That's a wonderful photo. Times sure have changed. Now all people need at the beach is a bag of chips and maybe a hotdog on a paper plate. No china tea cups.
Nancy

Kathy said...

I am always taken aback by pictures of people relaxing on a beach of rocks. It is so unfamiliar to me. And this one leads me wondering about carrying the china teacups to this rocky shore. A great photograph!

Postcardy said...

That's an interesting photo. It makes me wonder where the tea comes from. It doesn't look like they made it themselves.

Mike Brubaker said...

That's an almost perfect fit, if not for the hats, as they might be the same group taking the waters and not tea. The spats are an interesting part of the gent's outfit.

Wendy said...

What an interesting photo. (And I like the clever twist on the theme!) It could not have been easy to walk across those rocks, especially with tea cups in hand. I wonder if there's a basket somewhere.

Kat Mortensen said...

It's a terrific photo, but such a daunting place to take one's tea! I'm sure the ladies' shoes would have proved tricky in navigating those rocks.