Photographs, vintage postcards and other ephemera


Saturday 23 March 2013

Picnic 1899

I drew a bit of a blank finding an image in my collection to suit any of this week's Sepia Saturday themes. I decided to post another photograph from the group that includes the two previously posted images here and here.
This is one of three board-mounted photographs (128mm wide, 100mm high) dated 1899 and titled "Picnic" but without location details. It was only when I looked at the scan that I realised the chap on the left is holding a camera and what we have here is a photograph of a photographer!

As ever, more of the same over at Sepia Saturday.

9 comments:

Howard said...

Nice find!

Wendy said...

Must have been sunny and warm. That fellow looks TOO BIG to be riding on someone's shoulders.

Postcardy said...

I'm glad you noticed the camera. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

21 Wits said...

A very interesting find! It's a great photo too!

Alan Burnett said...

Never doubt yourself. You hit the theme perfectly.

Unknown said...

I like it.

Mike Brubaker said...

A perfect match! They are date palms I believe, and they look cultivated. But with they very English people and no native people that I can see, it could be almost anywhere in the British Empire. Egypt, India, Burma, maybe Australia? These are the same trees as the oil palm plantations that are so vast in Indonesia you can see from space!

Bob Scotney said...

Snap!

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

Wonderful photo! It must have been hot and those poor women were wearing those long dresses!