Photographs, vintage postcards and other ephemera


Saturday 13 October 2012

A mess of officers

My offering for this week's Sepia Saturday image is a group of officers from World War I.
I can't tell which regiment the officers belong to because their cap badges are too indistinct to identify. The different cuff insignia which indicate rank shows the officers are either Captains, Lieutenants or 2nd Lieutenants. I think the photograph was taken at Southend on Sea, Essex; the Joy Wheel in the background looks identical to the wheel at the Kursaal, Southend's amusement park. (Click here and scroll down to the third photograph to compare the two.) 
One thing I really like about this image is the contrast between the serious men and the two mascots posing cheekily in the front row.

More uniforms over at Sepia Saturday.

11 comments:

Wendy said...

OK, I'll show my ignorance - what was the point of the canes? To "make a point" by tapping on the floor?

Postcardy said...

The mascots are my favorite part of the photo.

Helen Killeen Bauch McHargue said...

I think they're holding swagger sticks. Here's wikipedia def:

In the British Army and other militaries following the Commonwealth traditions, some commissioned officers used to carry swagger sticks when in uniform, whilst some Warrant Officers and Senior NCOs may carry pace sticks instead. Cavalry officers will often carry a riding crop rather than a swagger stick, in deference to their mounted traditions. Tradition in the Royal Tank Regiment is for officers to carry an 'ash plant' or walking stick instead, in reference to World War I tank attacks, when officers would prepare lines of advance by testing the ground's firmness and suitability for tanks.[3]

Peter said...

I was about to ask the same question as Wendy did but you already gave a more than adequate explanation. I (think I) know that Captains (Ritmeesters) in Dutch Tank regiments also carry a swagger stick. Those mascots are priceless!

Kathy said...

Love the mascots!

21 Wits said...

Oh yes, the swagger stick again! Very cool. But I just adore that cute dog! They are a nice large group you shared with us, and learning about their ways is interesting! thanks so much!

Yvonne Demoskoff said...

Those cute dogs steal the show, don't they?

Bob Scotney said...

Great picture, Sam Browns and swagger sticks but give me the dogs,

Kat Mortensen said...

I have to say, they appear to be wearing the same uniform as my husband's Great-Grandfather (currently appearing on MY blog) - complete with swagger stick!

In fact, I could almost match the fellow in the back (second one in from the left) to be the very fellow!

(But I am known for grasping at straws. Ha ha.)

Kat

Kat Mortensen said...

No, I'm wrong. There is no strap across the chest on my man's uniform. They do look remarkably alike, mind you.

Bruno Laliberté said...

The mascots looked in good shape so I guess they were well treated and got enough playtime with all of them. They can't be that serious after all...
;)~
HUGZ